Kandinsky
Tuesday, July 11, 2006
I adore Kandinsky. I think, as artists go, he is in my top 5. This exhibition was amazing, it is hard to picture what the colours are like when you flick the books.
After the exhibition, I ended up in the gift shop and wanted to buy a post card to send to my dad, a lover of Matisse, I thought he would share a moment with me, but I was unable to find any that depicted the paintings.

The colours are so vivid and amazing, the blend, the texture, the compositions... it was so moving. If someone said to me that I can take any painting from the exhibition, take it home, just take it...I could not make a decision as to which one, which usually means I am in love completely.
I gave Hugo a personal, critical, artistic explanation of each painting, mostly consisting of me seeing Noah's arc with animals, parrots and falcons.
Hugo was reasonably amused till I said: "Now, this painting depicts the sea creatures of the deep."

There was an alien abduction too on the spaceship. Hugo saw planets on a skewer in that one.
And then I realised that what makes me love an artist is the unique individual style that I will immediately recognise. But not just that. I need to be able to glance into their world and see something more than paint. I need to get have a feeling about them, what kind of person they are.

And every good piece of art also has to be vague too, so you can make it what you want. You look at it and it is never literal, it is always changing, personal, it talks about you too, just as much as them.

As we battled to get a look at Kandinsky's paintings, there was no mad rush to see Pierre Huyghe's exhibition. His main exhibit is not working and I never really understood very contemporary video art. One film featured a penguin and not even that held my attention.

I have nothing great to say about his art and the only piece I could appreciate was this.

















0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home