Rodin and USA Today
Monday, November 06, 2006
Having been incapacitated due to consumption or something like it recently, I suddenly got really disillusioned over London. While working on my Poetry blog, I had to dig through folders and folders of random ramblings spanning all my London life, which I was translating and I came across quite a few poems about London in general and my love affair with it.
Ever since I got here, my life has been dual, always splitting the melancholy between people I love the most and the town I love the most, and being ill and alone, all of a sudden I felt a need to just go home and be with people that really know me, whom I know inside and out and who will always be in my life, hopefully.
But then, Saturday gave me something to think about. Met Hugo and we started the day with Rodin at Royal Academy of arts.
I am in no way lover of, what I call, art for grown ups, but this was really impressive. One seldom gets to see huge room full of bronze statues. It also featured large selection of drawings.
After that, we enjoyed muffins and coffee in Starbucks across the road, which was rather challenging to cross due to green demonstration, and went back for USA Today, selection of modern art, which I loved.

Some of the art was a bit dubious, such as a stuffed white bunny sporting a Qui and Non sign spinning in the glass cabinet, and a display of very sad shoes, stolen from, what looked like a shop for elderly in a Eastern European country.
But most of the art was symbolic in just the right way, my favourite exhibit was called "I hope I make it out of this with a little dignity" and featured a room full of small cats in the scene of battlefield, and they were all wounded, and those that weren't wounded were helping the wounded and the rest were throwing up and lying dead. The scene was so surreal yet so sad that you just had to feel it.
The other art was also great and there were some very imaginative pieces, and my day was suddenly amazing and London was once again, what it truly is, this abundant place full of amazing things to see and do.
From that I had a night of Misfits, which was great. I badgered the stand up comedians as per usual and Pappy's fun club was on, which is always an interesting experience, but there was this moment where part of the background fell and everyone just laughed and the performers started giggling and you know when the giggle sets in and nobody can compose themselves, and suddenly we were all just pissing ourselves like kids, which was fun.
I left half of my lung in the smoky bar but it was well worth it.

















0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home