Martina


Links
- Home
-Dream Story
- My World
-Pictures
-Poetry



Friends
- BC
- Ivan
- Stephen
- Tigga
- Pete's Big Dog
- Che
- Petra
- Ben
- Wonderful jewelry Previous Posts
Madrid
Just a small trivia...
Aspects of the Feminine - C.G. Jung
The life of others
Camera Obscura
Sunshine
i Like Trains
Running with scissors
Inland Empire
Mathew Jay

Archives
09.2005
10.2005
11.2005
12.2005
01.2006
02.2006
03.2006
04.2006
05.2006
06.2006
07.2006
08.2006
09.2006
10.2006
11.2006
12.2006
01.2007
02.2007
03.2007
04.2007
05.2007
06.2007
07.2007
09.2007
10.2007
11.2007
12.2007
01.2008
02.2008
03.2008
05.2008
06.2008
07.2008
08.2008
10.2008
11.2008
01.2009
04.2009
08.2009
10.2009


 


My World

Magical thinking

Monday, June 11, 2007
I tend to experience compulsive obsessive tendencies now and again, especially with writers. I read everything they have ever written and then, when I exhaust their literary work, I feel as if they were married to me for 20 years and suddenly left to buy a loaf of bread and never returned.

My latest is Augusten Burroughs. I accidentally picked up Running with scissors, which was touching and mad and after that I read Possible side effects, Dry and Sellevision. I was in Borders on Oxford Street, picking up his one remaining book, Magical thinking when I noticed a stranger picking up Possible side effects. We then discussed how Dry made us cry, especially when Pighead died and made him the gold pig’s head ornament...and at that moment, possibly gay guy, touched his heart with his hand and said; “That really got me.” (If there was such a thing as hypothetical violin, it would be playing now.)

I firmly believe that Augusten and I are so alike...if you discount the fact that I am not American, male or gay or have ever been a drug and alcohol addict.

Magical thinking really got me. It was probably the most ordinary of his books but since he writes memoirs, one could see how he matured through all of his books and also, he found true love, which always gets me. It is one of those really sarcastic yet ordinary tale of someone average life and what makes it special is the candid portrayal of madness, sex, intimacy and small details throughout the book.

This picture is of his dog, which I know all about because I read his whole life in instalments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home